Music Demo Day - Wednesday, March 8th will mark the annual Music Demo Day at Lineville. This is when all the 4th graders in the district come to visit Lineville to learn about the music choices they will have as 5th graders. Approximately half of the 5th graders will get to participate in this exciting day.
Spring Concerts - Yes you read that right. Lineville Choirs have 2 concerts in the spring. Please save both of the dates. Each of the concerts is unique in format and offers to very different learning experiences for the students. Please save both of these dates. If you are aware of a conflict please contact me and let me know so I can plan accordingly.
- Thursday, April 27: This is our district wide concert and involves all 10 Howard-Suamico choirs grades 5-12. Each choir will get to perform 1 song. To conclude the concert all 10 choirs will perform a final selection together as a grand finale. This is the one concert where the students get to be both performers and audience members. It is a great opportunity to teach audience concert etiquette to the students. Even more importantly the students get to hear the natural progression that occurs with the choirs as they listen to each group perform from youngest to oldest!
- Thursday, May 11: This concert will be the same format as our Winter Concert. The focus for this concert will be on sharing everything we have learned over 3rd and 4th quarter. 5th Grade will perform at 5:30 and 6th Grade will perform at 7:00.
Choir T-shirts - I will be placing another t-shirt order later this month. If your child is new to choir, or has lost or out-grown their t-shirt they will be able to place an order. These shirts will be ready in time for both of our spring concerts. You will be able to place an order from March 13 - April 5. I will send out an email with instructions for ordering once everything is set-up and ready to go.
- March 8: Music Demo Day (Select 5th Grade Students only)
- March 13: Ordering for Choir T-shirts Begins
- March 20-24: Spring Break
- March 31: End of 3rd Quarter
- April 5: Choir T-shirt Orders Due
Oh the things we've learned!
5th Graders have been working really hard and have put a big dent in preparing their spring concert music. We are finishing up the first 2 songs 'Cripple Creek' and 'Chariot's Comin' this week. Next week we will start learning our jazz song 'It Don't Mean a Thing'. We have also been working on preparing the big finale number for the District Concert and have finished learning the Lineville Solo at the beginning of the piece.
The students have also been making great strides in music reading. They can now sight-read 2 measure melodies and are becoming proficient with basic rhythms using the 'takadimi' rhythm reading system.
6th Graders are also full steam ahead. They have completed 'Pick a Bale of Cotton' and 'Route 66'. We have also begun work on our Gospel selection 'How Can I Keep From Singing?'. This year the 6th graders get to learn the harmony part for the finale number in the District Concert. They are doing a great job in making the transition from melody to harmony and are now solid and ready to lead the 5th graders through the first portion of the song!
In music reading the students are now working on adding rhythm to our sight-reading exercises. This is a big step. Now their brains have to focus on 4 things at once (what to call the note, what pitch to sing, which hand-sign to use, and how long to hold the note out for). This process is really about teaching the brain how to juggle all the different tasks it is being asked to process at the same time.