What is a Scale?
- A scale is an 8 note pattern that uses all 7 solfege notes.
What is a Minor Scale?
- A Minor Scale is an 8 note pattern that begins on La.
- A Minor Scale begins on La because in music anything that is Minor will always start on La.
- The 8 notes in a Minor Pentachord are La Ti Do Re Mi Fa So La
Singing Minor Scales
- When we sing a Minor Scale we sing all 8 notes up & down: La Ti Do Re Mi Fa Sol La So Fa Mi Re Do Ti La
- When we sing a Minor Scale we use our solfege handsigns. Using hand signs helps us to sing with more accurate pitch.
Below is an interactive diagram of a Minor Scale. If you hover over each red arrow additional information about the scale will appear. Use these arrows to learn more about the Minor Scale, learn the hand signs for the Minor Scale, and to listen to the Minor Scale.
Below is a video of me singing and signing a Minor Scale. Sing and sign along with the video to practice your Minor Scale and handsigns.
Below is a recording of Minor Scale. Use the recording to practice singing your Minor Scale while signing the notes on your own.
Minor Scale Study Questions
- How many notes are in a Minor Scale?
- What is the first note in a Minor Scale?
- Explain why the first note in a Minor Scale is La.
- What are the notes in a Minor Scale?
- Because in music anything that is Minor will always start on La
- La Ti Do Re Mi Fa Sol La